Abhyanga is a massage体育投注网址 that’s done with warm oil. The oil is applied on the entire body, from the scalp to the soles of your feet.
It’s the most popular massage in Ayurveda, a traditional system of medicine from India. Ayurveda focuses on maintaining health through natural practices like massage and what you eat.
体育投注网址The oil is the central component of this practice. When combined with massage strokes, it’s thought to promote overall health and wellness.
Abhyanga is typically performed by a massage therapist. But it’s also possible to do an abhyanga self-massage in the comfort of your own home.
Let’s look at the potential benefits of this Ayurvedic massage, along with how to do it yourself.
Before receiving a 1-hour abhyanga massage, the participants completed a stress-related questionnaire and had their heart rate measured. Both tests were repeated after the session.
体育投注网址The researchers found that, after the massage, the participants’ subjective stress levels and heart rate decreased.
While new, larger studies are necessary to understand how abhyanga reduces stress, other research has found similar benefits.
体育投注网址A examined how rhythmical massage with aromatic oil influences the autonomic nervous system in 44 healthy women.
Stress negatively changes the autonomic nervous system, reducing heart rate variability. Low heart rate variability indicates higher stress levels; high variability indicates relaxation.
The study determined rhythmical massage led to long-term heart rate variability stimulation, a sign of relaxation. The aromatic oil also helped, but its effect was temporary.
This suggests that abhyanga, which also involves massage and oils, could potentially offer similar benefits.
Lower blood pressure
This could be related to the way massage affects the circulatory system. During a classic massage, the blood vessels expand. This speeds blood flow and reduces resistance in the arteries, which helps improve blood pressure.
Still, additional research is needed to clarify how abhyanga specifically affects blood pressure.
Improve skin health
According to abhyanga practitioners, healthy skin is a main benefit of the massage.
The oil is used to nourish the skin, which supposedly improves its overall appearance. The massage strokes are believed to:
- increase skin blood flow
- reduce appearance of wrinkles, cellulite, and scars
- improve skin smoothness and softness
- decrease hyperpigmentation
There’s some merit to these claims. For example, a
体育投注网址But there’s limited evidence on the skin benefits of massage. Further research is required to prove how massage, like abhyanga, may help the skin.
Reduce muscle stiffness
Another purported benefit of abhyanga is better flexibility. It’s thought to decrease stiffness and increase mobility by loosening shortened, tight muscles.
For instance, a
As a type of massage, abhyanga could have similar benefits. Additional studies are needed to understand how abhyanga affects flexibility.
Promotes lymphatic drainage
Lymphatic drainage is an established benefit of any type of massage. While scientists haven’t explicitly examined abhyanga and lymph flow, proponents claim it has a positive effect.
Your lymphatic system removes your body’s waste. If you have surgery or a medical condition, the fluid in your lymphatic system can accumulate and cause swelling, or lymphedema.
Massage can improve lymphedema by encouraging lymphatic drainage体育投注网址. The physical pressure expands lymphatic vessels, which promotes lymph flow.
体育投注网址Massage has been used to reduce lymphedema after surgery, injury, or radiation therapy.
If you have a painful calf, see your doctor before you begin massage. Massage isn’t right for some conditions.
体育投注网址Abhyanga is also said to:
- improve vision
- increase energy and alertness
- increase physical strength
- delay age-related changes
体育投注网址However, these outcomes are anecdotal. They haven’t been tested or proven by researchers.
体育投注网址Receiving abhyanga from a trained massage therapist can be a relaxing experience. However, it’s also possible to enjoy abhyanga as a self-massage. This lets you enjoy the massage whenever it’s convenient for you.
During abhyanga, you’ll need to wear minimal clothing or wrap a towel around your body.
Here’s the general technique of an abhyanga self-massage:
- Pour 1/2 cup oil in a clean, empty shampoo or squeeze bottle. Put the bottle in a pot of hot water until the oil is warm.
- Apply the oil to your whole body, including the top of your head. Massage the oil into your scalp, moving in circular motions.
- Continue to your forehead, ears, cheeks, and jaws.
- Massage your chest and abdomen, moving in clockwise and circular strokes. On your trunk, massage inward along your ribs.
- Continue to your back and butt. Massage in straight, long motions on your arms and legs. Move in circular motions on your joints.
- Massage your feet, including your toes and soles.
- Relax for 10 minutes to let your skin absorb the oil.
- Take a warm bath or shower. Use a gentle cleanser to remove the oil.
For an enjoyable self-massage, follow these tips:
- Make sure the oil is warm but not too hot.
- Consider using an electronic oil warmer. It’s convenient and portable.
- Use an old towel to catch the oil stains.
- Take your time on each body part.
- After massaging your soles with oil, be careful when walking. The oil could make you slip.
- Use a clean towel when you get out of the shower.
- Do an abhyanga self-massage daily for optimal results.
The best oil for abhyanga depends on your “dosha,” or body type. In Ayurveda, there are three doshas that determine which oils you need to encourage balance and health.
体育投注网址Here’s a general look at the doshas, along with their skin qualities and recommended oils:
- Vata (dry skin). Use heavy oils like almond, sesame, or avocado oil.
- Pitta (sensitive or overheated skin). Apply a neutral oil like ghee or sunflower oil.
- Kapha (oily skin). Use a light oil, such as safflower, sweet almond, or flaxseed oil. Typically, less oil is needed for kapha.
Each carrier oil can be used by itself or blended with another oil.
Another option is to infuse your carrier oil with herbs体育投注网址. Herb-infused oils are thought to provide added benefits. Popular herbs used in abhyanga oils include:
- lotus root
To infuse your own oil:
- Warm 1 cup carrier oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the herbs. Mix and remove from the heat.
- Cover the saucepan. Let sit for 24 hours.
- Strain the herbs with a cheesecloth.
- Store in an airtight container.
体育投注网址You can also buy pre-blended oils at massage supply stores or Ayruvedic spas and centers.
体育投注网址While there’s minimal research on abhyanga, the massage is an ancient practice. It’s believed to promote wellness and balance, along with stress relief and healthy skin.
The technique involves applying warm oil to the entire body and massaging each part.
Massage can improve relaxation, blood flow, and general health.
Self-massage may not be safe if you’re pregnant or have a skin infection, broken bone, or chronic illness.
体育投注网址If you’d like to try an abhyanga self-massage, talk to a doctor first. Massage isn’t right for some conditions.
Last medically reviewed on February 4, 2020